Women's and Children's Shelter in the district of Ammerland and Wesermarsch - Personal preparation

If you are affected by domestic violence and / or abuse or fear that it may happen, you can find help in the counselling and intervention centres of the districts. These centres are known as BISS for short. You can find counselling in advance when it becomes clear that there is considerable tension in a relationship, when you start to feel insecure, or when pressure is being exerted on you. 

The BISS in the district of Wesermarsch is the counselling centre LaWeGa.

LaWeGa Counselling Centre, Brake District House
Poggenburger Straße 15
26919 Brake

Room: 145

Telephone: 04401 - 927-436
Fax: 04401 - 927-372

E-mail: lawegalkbra.de
Website of the BISS Wesermarsch

The BISS for the district of Ammerland is located in Oldenburg:

BISS - Counselling and Intervention Centre against Domestic Violence.
Stau 73, 2nd floor
26122 Oldenburg

Tel.: 04 41 - 235 37 98

Website of the BISS for the district of Ammerland

The staff can support you if you experience violence and / or abuse. Abuse can take many different forms: physical, mental, psychological, sexual and economic. Abuse can also be harassment or forced marriage. This applies to cases of domestic violence, but also to rape and stalking by a stranger or any known person.

You can make preparations to get yourself and your children to safety quickly. 

Checklist for my safety preparation:

I can plan for an emergency to get myself and my children to safety:

1. Plan the escape

  • I find escape routes from the flat (exits, windows, balcony)
  • I turn off the location / tracking function on my mobile phone
  • I talk to a person I trust so that I can stay with them in case of an emergency
  • I get my own individual mobile phone or pre-paid card without my partner knowing
  • I write down and save the most important emergency numbers (police, fire brigade, friends,...)
  • I save the number of the police in my phone and show my children how to call the police (the children must know their address!)
  • I only make phone calls from a safe place so that my partner doesn't find out about my plans
  • I open my own individual bank account
  • I make copies of all important documents and put them in a safe place / with a trusted person.

2. Pack emergency bag(s)

I pack an emergency bag for myself

  • ID/passport, residence certificate, work permit,  proof of citizenship
  • Health insurance  card(s)
  • Vaccination certificate, health care record book or papers
  • Benefit statements (e.g. job centre, social welfare office, employment agency)
  • Income tax card and other insurance documents
  • Birth certificate, diplomas, credentials 
  • Money, bank card, savings books, credit card
  • Driving licence
  • Tenancy / rent agreement
  • Clothes
  • Medication (if urgently needed)
  • Keys

and one for the children

  • Birth certificate
  • Child ID card / identity card / passport
  • Child benefit number
  • Custody order, if possible
  • Vaccination certificate, health care record book or papers
  • School supplies
  • Cuddly toy / favourite toy or blanket

3. Safety after separation

  • I avoid places where my partner frequents or would look for me.
  • I arrange with the kindergarten / school who is allowed to pick up my children.
  • I change my telephone number
  • I do not send or post photos (as they may contain location data) and other content that can be used to infer my whereabouts.
  • I try to change regular appointments to different days and times. 
  • If possible, I arrange to go to work at different times and go home at different times regularly.